Sunday 8 August 2010

Hello World



Given how I wasn't really planning on watching it at all (and I'd declined the possibility when it was available as an in flight movie two weeks earlier), it's surprising that it ended up inspiring me to the extent that it did when I ended up watching it. It just happened to be on the telly, and were it not focusing on the absolutely stunning Amy Adams when I flicked onto it then I'd have probably not watched it at all. But here I am. And oh, since I forgot to mention, the movie in question is Julie and Julia.

Yes, that's right. I imagine food blogs inspired by that movie are pretty ubiquitous these days so no brownie points for me in terms of, I don't know, creativity or whatever. But this is, in a nutshell, what's going on. In a few weeks, I'll be moving to Spain for 9 months, so what's left for me to do is the following:

  1. Find a Traditional Spanish cookbook. I'd ask for suggestions but I can't imagine I actually have any readers at this point.
  2. Cook my way through as much of it as I can during the year.
Given that I am a student, and I don't exactly want this thing to comprehensively take over my life, I'm not going to attempt something suicidal like 1+ recipes per day as in the movie, especially considering that as a student, I can't imagine I'll be able to afford to cook fancy meals every day (Side note: The 33p tin of Sainsbury's basics chopped tomatoes were an absolute lifesaver last year when my account was running dry at one point). Perhaps one three-course meal per week? I'll figure it out.


1 comment: